Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Dining Room Revamp Reveal!

 
 

It's done!  Finally!  We officially win two awards for this project:  1.  Fastest Start and 2. Slowest Finish. 
 
Let's look at a big before shot and break down the changes. 

 
Problems and Solutions....
 
1. Need window treatments.
These were custom white linen hand me down curtains (thank you Mother-In-Law!!) but were a little too short.  A band of Raymond Waites for Mill Creek in Felton Coral was the perfect solution for a punch of color and to add length. Super easy sewing project!  (Let me know if you would like a tutorial on this!)
 
2. Chairs were insignificant.
So, I actually really loved (and kind of miss) my simple farmhouse chairs.  But the new chairs are much more suited for this big room.  The chairs at the heads of the table were $25 each from Habitat and were recovered in drop cloth and piped in chocolate brown linen.  The other chair seats were recovered also.  Four in a Waverly over scaled floral (can't remember the exact print!)  and the other two in Raymond Waites for Mill Creek in Felton Coral.  Both of these are indoor/outdoor fabrics and stain resistant.  Essential for the kids!
 
3. Wall color too yellow.
It's not a giant difference.  But, this whole house was painted in a flat yellow tinged cream and we are slowing but surely getting rid of it.  It was a custom mixed color but I have the formula and you can email me if you want it.
4. Furniture on back wall WAY too small.
 
You can tell in the before picture above.  Tiny console table with an enormous picture over it and ity bity lamps. It was just all sorts of wrong.  But now I LOVE it.  I am most proud that all the big stuff here came from the Goodwill and was revamped!  You can see the buffet story here and more on the pictures later this week but they are stamped original botanical prints for $35 each at Goodwill! The mirror I had and painted it white from red.  And the lamp, which mimic the light fixture, were a Tuesday Morning find. Even the little pillows are from a little piece of hand done crewel (by the sweetest old woman) I picked up at a yard sale and turned into pillows. Obviously she had amazing taste.  She said she did this piece 20 or 30 years ago!
 
5. Layout needs tweaked for better flow.
By switching the china cabinet and wine bar it made it much easier to walk through to the kitchen.  Small change, big impact.
 
6.  Needed a happier, brighter color scheme.

 When you walk into the house you first see the new entry bench and then look into this room straight ahead and to the right. You can see this room from almost everywhere on the main level so it needed brightened up. 
 
The cost break down is pretty unreal.
I spent about $40 on fabric (discount remnants), $40 on the Goodwill dresser turned buffet, $70 on the art, $200 on the sea grass rug (Overstock), $50 on paint, and $90 on the two lamps.  Put it all together with a little elbow grease, a few hand me downs (chairs and curtains) and you get a whole room revamp for only about $500!  Not too shabby I would say.  Especially when you space it out over a year :-)
 
 It may have taken a year to get it where I wanted up but I love the results.  The pops of pink and green make me smile without being overly girly and I couldn't be happier to mark this one off the list!
 
Kandi

Linked up:


52 Mantels In Designer Jeans

Add your LINKS!good one




French Country Cottage








13 comments:

  1. Nice! I love a spacious DR. Sweet table runner with the ruffle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Kandi!! Now, I wanna come see it in person :)
    And, yes, I would love a tutorial on curtain sewing (even though I don't have a sewing machine!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! Ditto on the tutorial. My mother needs some "color pop" curtains for their Mtn. House.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh love the buffet!!
    everything looks great

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your makeover. Your dining room looks beautiful. I love the chandelier. I would love for you to link this up to my party going on right now if you haven't already. I hope to see you there. http:://diybydesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping by from the WOW party. I love what you did with this room! I think I like the panels the best! I do a lot of projects on a small budget so I can appreciate what you did. I just finished our master bathroom makeover on a budget.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can imagine you'll be having some fun in this revamped space soon! Dropping by from the link party - will be following just to see if you do have the fun! Inviting you to do the same at www.ColdhamCuddliescalling.blogspot.com. Isobel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Kandi

    This makeover is beautiful. I love the chairs you have now. I found your lovely blog on Designer Jeans link party. I enjoyed looking around your lovely blog. I am a new follower. Love for you to stop by www.homesweetbutterfly.com. Have a great weekend.

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  9. wowza! the light fixture is stunning!

    hope you'll have a moment to stop by, and i'm hosting a giveaway as well today:
    http://hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com/2012/12/personalized-lovely-giveaway.html

    peace to you.

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  10. great job and great pix too! love the pendant!

    You may have heard, but we are giving away a SIlhouette Cameo along with free ad space every week at our link party. Would love if you stopped by! http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/giveaway-and-the-humble-brag-link-party-10/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Love it! This is the first time I've been to your blog and I'm having fun! It is Great to see a dining room revamp that features .... wood.
    Great chairs. Nice to see a revamp that doesn't involve painting the chairs! ~ Christie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did you realize there's a 12 word sentence you can communicate to your man... that will induce deep feelings of love and instinctual appeal to you deep within his heart?

    That's because hidden in these 12 words is a "secret signal" that fuels a man's impulse to love, adore and protect you with his entire heart...

    12 Words That Trigger A Man's Desire Instinct

    This impulse is so built-in to a man's mind that it will drive him to try harder than before to make your relationship as strong as it can be.

    Matter-of-fact, fueling this dominant impulse is so mandatory to getting the best possible relationship with your man that once you send your man a "Secret Signal"...

    ...You will instantly find him open his heart and mind to you in a way he never expressed before and he will identify you as the only woman in the galaxy who has ever truly appealed to him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. In this manner my associate Wesley Virgin's autobiography launches with this shocking and controversial VIDEO.

    As a matter of fact, Wesley was in the military-and soon after leaving-he discovered hidden, "MIND CONTROL" tactics that the government and others used to get whatever they want.

    THESE are the same methods lots of famous people (notably those who "became famous out of nowhere") and the greatest business people used to become wealthy and famous.

    You've heard that you only use 10% of your brain.

    That's mostly because most of your BRAINPOWER is UNCONSCIOUS.

    Maybe that thought has even taken place IN YOUR very own head... as it did in my good friend Wesley Virgin's head seven years ago, while riding an unregistered, beat-up garbage bucket of a vehicle with a suspended license and with $3.20 in his bank account.

    "I'm very frustrated with living check to check! When will I finally succeed?"

    You've been a part of those those conversations, am I right?

    Your very own success story is going to happen. Go and take a leap of faith in YOURSELF.

    UNLOCK YOUR SECRET BRAINPOWER

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity